Re: even member votes

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 5/4/05, Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> [...]
> > ''In the unlikely (and discouraged/unfavored) event that 'core'
> >   is constituted by an even number of individuals, voting rights
> >   of the meeting conductor (or "driver" as the individual is
> >   often called) are suspended for the duration of the meeting.
> >   Since meeting conduction is based on a rotational system it
> >   is hoped that no one individual would systematically be
> >   castoff during votes on a regular basis''
> [...]
>
> I am not against the concept. The problem is the driving of the
> meetings isnt strictly rotational but is done on the basis of who is
> most willing to drive.

You didn't read close enough then :-)  This is meant to force
a more strict rotation system in our meeting "driver" apparatus.
The listing of people in the agenda is alphabetical for a reason
and that's how we can easily follow who will drive, etc.  If a
person isn't there when it is their turn then they can be skipped
and scheduled to drive the next meeting, etc.  Plus when one
person is missing the driver gets to vote since we'd be an odd
number, etc.

> So I say lets make it a rotational suspension of voting right
> regardless of who's driving. There are situations also where we might
> feel its unfair to exclude any one of us from voting (like say a vote
> is coming up for an issue which I, Abdulaziz, feel very strongly
> about, yet its my turn to sit out). In such cases the suspension of
> voting right can be waived (is that the right word?) if all core
> members agree to during the meeting.

I agree, but this complicates things and I was after a simple solution
that would be light and that would work in most if not all cases.  Do
please write-up what you have in mind so that we can vote on it :-)
just kidding - so we can discuss it briefly and so that if it's opted
for we can easily add it to the handbook (make it short and to the
point (and did I mention clear :-)).

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail