Re: Forced Votes

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> I had to leave today's meeting abruptly due to the unreasonable fashion
> by which a vote was required.
>
> Before we vote on something, we first have to have an agreement on
> having a vote to begin with. I can't come up with a subject, say
> "Yes/No" and that's that. This is not a rigid structure where there are
> no rooms for maneuvers. If this is the case, I am not interested in it.

We had a "discussion period" and comments were sought after a number
of times (I can post the log if you like) - nothing was forced (the
topic took a full 5 minutes before it was brought to a vote).  I do
agree with you, as you noted in the meeting, that we must curtail the
introduction of new non-agenda'ized topics.  The vote on hand was
something that came up very recently and so it's an exception to the
norm.  The topic of the vote (or our need to make a decision) didn't
entirely blind-side us either as it was posted recently on the 'doc'
list without any voiced objections.