Re: Voting System

On Saturday 23 November 2002 19:09, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> > Nadim and I were talking (before our post-poned meeting should have
> > taken place) and it got me thinking.
> >
> > We really need to get everyone (cvs committers) involved a lot
> > more in the decision making process. Nadim said something to
> > the effect of 1 vote per committer. I like that a lot. I think
> > we also need to put the charter in effect (on the live pages)
> > _VERY_ soon. I know that this post may be ignored just because
> > of this mention, but if I don't get any feedback I'll simply
> > go ahead and do things assuming agreement.
>
> I'll relook at the charter - but I dislike burocracy and endless
> ever-evolving set of rules.  I think a voting system in place solves
> almost all those issues.  Problems arise when there is no communication
> and no discussion and so you solve that you solve all issues.  In
> short, I'd say,
>
>  1. talk, meet, discuss
>  2. everyone is equal weight (physically or otherwise :-) to everyone
>     else - no rank pulling.  1 person == 1 opinion
>
> I would much rather not go down this road again since it doesn't
> serve any legit purposes - we need to move forward and progress.

I find the Voting system a vey good idea.. It would help us alot with
different issues where feedback is needed..
About the Charter.. I believe in the power of writen word.. and I think that
any procedures, rules, decisions should be documented for referance perposes,
and so that the writen, agreed upon word (charter) will act as a judge when
members are in disagreements..

> > I want this done very quickly so we can add a new 'core' member
> > without having to have all these lingering issues still hanging.
> > We don't want a new member entangled in the politics core
> > went through several months back.
> >
> > Anyway, let's get the consent on the draft (re-consent) and
> > start notifying the nominee of the possibility (he might
> > not want it). No names (here) yet.
>
> A couple of issues here to consider,
>
>  1. Why add another set of people (we continue to need an odd number
>     of core'ites).  What is the impetus for it ?  What is expected
>     to happen ?  What areas need to be covered ?  Is there a limit/cap
>     to how many core'ites there should be ?

I am not very sure about this.. because bringing one new core member would
bring the other, to keep it odd.. and bringing 2 members is too much

>  2. What if the commitment falters ?

I suggested something earlier before .. but I did not get alot of YAs for it
.. commitment can be shown with attending meetings, and doing what a person
should do .. I suggested in the draft charter that a core member can not skip
3-4 meetings in a row .. or skip doing things in his TODO list for 1-2 months
.. this means that this person does not have time .. and should do
him/herself a favour, and do us a favour and appologize and resign .. I am
not sure how much this can indicate commitment..

>  3. What should the core team do to bring better focus and more
>     urgancy to the process.

you are talking about the process of voting ?

Yours
Isam Bayazidi