Re: Linux.com Article

--- Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi arabeyes org> wrote:
>   I've been having some talk with Mr.Robin Miller, Editor in Chief in
> www.linux.com.. he asked me if it is possible to write an article about
> Arabeyes for linux.com .. I told him that it will be my pleasure .. I plan to
> have it ready by next sunday .. I plan to make it a general article .. such

I'm not sure if he asked you some questions which you are going to answer,
but I suggest we deal with it like we've dealt with all articles - have
us all contribute and stick it under LOCALCVS.

BTW: have these communications taken place via voice/phone ?

> as the article in THE STAR newspaper .. or maybe we can use it to reach more
> poeple .. and make it an article to get people .. I am not sure .. please
> post your views ..

Any press and any PR is good - I'm all for it.

> My talk with Mr. Miller was about his attendance to the OSS conferance in
> Jordan .. he wanted to make some screenshots for Arabic working in OpenSource
> software such as OpenOffice, KDE, Gnome, and so .. and when he know that
> Arabeyes will be present, he said that maybe he will leave this to our
> presenation .. I like the idea of having some screenshots for Arabic
> working.. it is what IBM and hancome do to make people think that they've
> done something ..:-)

Sure - that could follow the actual presentation itself.  You had noted
that you will have your own laptop with Linux on it, no ?  If so, then
proceed with the canned presentation and then simply say, here are some
examples of our work.  Show them KDE/Gnome with all the translations.
Show them a UTF-8 Arabic file in xterm (it will look like garbage) and
then display it in mlterm - try to write something arabic in 'vi' (can't
do it :-) then start up vim/katoob/emacs-bidi and do, etc, etc.

I'm not sure the screen-shots are necessary as long as the machine is
attached to the projector.