Re: vim/akka

--- "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com> wrote:
> Nadim, I think that the same that is being done with the console through
> Akka could be done in graphic mode through a terminal emulation
> emulation very easily.
>
> So another thing I don't understand is why VIM per se would be so
> special.
>
> Yes, I know easy-Akka is taking time to come, and that unfortunately is
> beyond my control, and "a graphic akka" wouldn't start before it, but
> why waste your time on a particular case when another piece of software
> can do the same and a lot more?

I wouldn't view this as a "waste of your time".  You are making a number
of assumptions.

 1. Availability of graphical-Akka.
 2. User will be able to compile Akka on multiple platforms (various
    dependencies).
 3. VIM work will take a LONG time or EFFORT
 4. VIM is not special - its just the easiest thing we can get out the
    door.  Mohammed, if you could please supply us that doc so that we
    can get with it :-)

I certainly don't mean to diminish any of Akka's importance, but I also
don't think that everyone will leap to an emulation solution and some
will much rather have support for Arabic within an application (one of
our charters and thoughts was to start enforcing a shift in mindset in the
opensource community in that Arabic support should be included in everything
just like heb is in most packages).

Also keep in mind that the work that we are talking about should take
no more than 15 hours -- I've spent 16 hours on the latest feature addition
on QaMoose (in upcoming 1.2).  So we might be spending too much time debating