Re: Web-Admins needed for OAO

--- Armelle Nedelec <arn at scs-net dot org> wrote:
> Would it be possible to have an idea of what you intend Openarabia.org
> to be.
> Right now I saw that it give news from different LUG and other site
> related to Open Source in arabic.
> I'll try to think about it this week and send you news of my thinking.

Armelle, what is there now is just 10% of what that portal is to offer
(btw - the current news RSS links should look more like linuxhomepage.com
instead of what is there now - better organization is needed).  Simply put
we need OAO to be the one place that an Arab can go to in order to know
everything there is to know about open source (of which Linux, GNU, etc
are a subset and not the other way around).  The site should also have
various sections relating to open sourced documents, books, data among
others (wikipedia.com for instance should be linked-in, etc).  It should
house various LUG related info (experiences, testimonials, etc) and
resources (for instance with the recent spat of conferences, there is now
a demand for various tutorials on what to do in order to host an event
and whom to contact, etc).  It is also envisioned that OAO will interface
(indirectly) to .gov, .edu and .com in order to preach to them the benefits
of open source, etc (so a section with sample data along with testimonials
and pro-con docs for people in various countries to print in order to
showcase to those looking to learn about what open source means would
be helpful).  Sample presentations, sample documents, sample ISOs, links,
etc, etc.

Again, it should have enough info to cater to what an Arab would need in
order to have a very good understanding of what open source is about and
why it is important.  It should also house various open source sub-topics,
books, data, software, discussions, etc along with supporting documents.

As this is NOT set-in-stone, I'm sure OpenArabia.org will evolve as the
need arises (have ideas ?).  As a very simplified and direct example,
arabeyes and the LUGs need a central location in order to bring all those
working on similar things into ONE central collective/entity (I'm not
talking about code or CVS, but about goals and drives and experience).
We for instance don't interact with the wikipedia volunteers yet I'm sure we
share similar goals and those goals need to be noted and stated somewhere
in order to better educate others.  OAO should also be a vehicle to do
some much needed PR (public relations) to bring to focus various
sub-organizations' needs and requirements, etc.  Think of it as the best
open source website you've seen and cater it towards the Arabic user and
market.

Hope that helps & salam.