Re: Registration replies

Sorry for my late reply:

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:46:49PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj wrote:
> > On Apr 9, 2005 3:42 AM, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > >
> > > The proposed idea is to engage the various project maintainers by having
> > > them step-in to cultivate future helpers and volunteers. The idea is as
> > > follows.  When a person registers today he/she has to indicate if they're
> > > interested in one of 4 categories - Translator, Developer, Artist and
> > > Public-Relations.  Depending on the category he/she chooses, the user
> > > will see a pull-down menu with a list of all the active (ie. non-retired
> > > or completed) projects in that category.  He will be asked to select an
> > > entry (default is "SELECT a PROJECT" - ie. they HAVE to select something
> > > else their registration won't be accepted).
> >
> > Is it too early for technical questions? This drop-down menu with the
> > list of related projects, should it be on the same page as the
> > category selection menu, or on the next page? It is possible to have a
> > menu right next to the category selection menu and when user selects
> > translator for example the other menu is dynamically populated with
> > GNOME, KDE etc... or... we can have this selection on the next page.
> > First method would involve JavaScript, something which our site is
> > almost free of. I'm for making the registration process a multi-page
> > one.
>
> It's upto you.  Personally I think a single page would be nicer.
> Some other options,
>
>  + Force a re-load of the page (don't think you need javascript for this)
>  + Spawn a small page with the pull-down menu (don't need javascript)
>
> But as noted it is entirely upto the implementer :-)

It's something I hate to say, But I know how to implement such a menu in javascript.
I've implemented a 3-4 selection-dependant menu like this.

I'm offering my help here.

> > I noticed most of the people who register (for those who dont know, we
> > get a LOT of newly registered people) do not even go and subscribe to
> > the lists we suggest in our welcome email. Is it because they are
> > lazy? Is it because they dont know how? I dont care. What I have in
> > mind is just near the end of the registration process, they get a list
> > of checkboxes of all the mailing lists. e.g. they would say "subscribe
> > to the Documention and Translation Mailing List", "Subscribe to the
> > General list". For those of you who have ever signed up with MSN
> > Hotmail, this will sound very familiar. In fact I plan to copy the MS
> > model by creating nice little icons for all the mailing lists.
> >
> > Some of those checkboxes would be preselected by default based on the
> > category of contribution the new registree picked in the previous
> > page. i.e. if he chose "developer", the developer list would be
> > preselected by default.
>
> Sounds reasonable - we just didn't feel right and/or comfortable adding
> people without their consent (make sure to make it plenty clear to them
> that they can remove/add/change things by supplying the mailing-lists
> URL).  Make sure to also select the 'announce' list for all :-)

WEll, Since they'll get a confirmation email from mailman and they have to click on a URL or to reply to the email otherwise they won't be subscribed, there is no harm IMHO.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer, Arabbix Maintainer.