Re: php patch

Do please leave a single line between cited reference text and your
replies - it makes it easier to read :-)

--- Omar Abo-Namous <merlin12345 at gmx dot de> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:39:54 -0700 (PDT), Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > 1. All date checks internally should happen using the UTC timezone
> > (are there day spill issue - hope not).
> > 2. There is an 'opendate' which gets checked in nominate.php yet its
> > not set anywhere --> not sure of the intent of the variable, but I'd
> > guess since we have a start_date and end_data (for nominations I'm
> > guessing) this variable could be more aptly renamed to vote_date.
>
> start_ and end_date are for the vote itself. opendate was meant to be the
> date until which the doors are open for nomination. i hope that covers your
> next three questions.

Fair enough, then I think we should rename those variables to vote_start
and vote_end and replace opendate with nominate_start and nominate_end since
the nomination period starts 2 weeks before elections and stops at one week
prior to vote (so a span is definitely needed).

> > 6. There really should be a 'nominate yourself' link possibly in the
> > 'right menu' link on any valid election.
>
> Actually there should be! if an election is coming up (ie it's still open
> for nominations) and you have your cvs-commits and are logged in, there
> should be a link "nominate yourself".

Ok, didn't see it - there might be a typo or something in the checks for
it to show-up, I didn't see it in too much detail.

> > 7. All table entries should come up when one presses on the nominate and
> > a status column should note 'open/closed' for each election in the table
> > with open ones allowing checked people to nominate themselves.
>
> does that make sense? When do you want to have more than one election at
> once??

Its not at once - but it would be nice to have all the contents on the
election table in mysql noted on that page in a nice readable format just
for reference and at least for now ;-)

> > 12. Once a person enter him/herself as a nominee, one should be able to
> > remove him/herself (or change their campaign plea, etc).  It would be
> > best to include a link (per person) in the admin.php page (which lists
> > all people on the bottom) so that people can click on their names and
> > change things.
>
> But you can't get into admin.php unless you are core as i understand it.
> So that wouldn't make sense??

OK, then the 'Nominate Yourself' link should always be there.  During that
one week window (which starts 2 weeks before vote and ends one week prior
to the actual vote date), nominees should be free to change their blurbs,
add/remove things and even cancel their nomination if they so desire.  As
it currently stands, once someone enters something its set in stone and
can't be changed - that aspect of it doesn't seem proper.  A means to change
one's own entries should be there.

> > 13. Prior to elections there needs to be a 'vote' or similar link so that
> > people can read the various nominee's campaign pleas (a list of all
> > nominees and a link to each person's blurb that they entered).  This
> > same link when the time is right on election day will let people vote.
>
> But by the time the voters are able to see the nomination blurbs, the
> nominees shouldn't be able to change them.

True, once the nomination period has passed (ie. we are one week or less
to the actual vote) nominees should not be able to change anything.

> > 14. There are 2 mysql tables (elections and votes) I might have missed the
> > part when they kinda link to each other.  In other words, the votes should
> > include that particular elections id or similar so that we can have
> > multiple future elections.
>
> the votes-table does actually include election_id.

Ah, sorry - good :-)

> > 21. Note sure about the usage of the 'open' variable.  Plus the > and <
> > compares should really be = compare on vote_date.
>
> The election is only for one day??? and even if, the two dates start and end
> include the time. So you really have a span, in which you can vote. i think
> this is consistent??!

That was the idea - to have it be one single 24 hour UTC period.  So a span
is still OK given we also do the nomination period that way as well (seems
simple enough).

> If i change something, should i make a patch file to the original cvs
> or from the files, i've already changed and submitted?

Always with respect to the CVS files as far as I'm concerned.  It would also
be best to idle on IRC as the time is a bit too short to really know who is
doing what and it would be ideal to collaborate more closely on fixing and
testing things.

Salam and thanks for all the help.