PHP with gettext

Salam,

Arafat, you wanted some work ? Here's some serious work for ya ;-)

I've been trying to implement gettext within the website to have it translated
to Arabic (and to any other language, that is, for example French, which
should be considered seriously). I unfortunately did not succeed yet in my
attempts.

I have been carefully following some tutorials directives (for ex, I verified
that our PHP is indeed compiled with gettext support by looking at
phpinfo()'s output). I tried to do this in an existing Arabeyes PHP file. Now
that I think about it, maybe the right way would be to create a test.php file
including only something like echo gettext('some string'); or print
gettext('some string'); create the PO, translate it, create the MO and see if
you have the correct output when you choose the correct language. The process
is rather easy, but I couldn't manage to have anything displayed but the
initial English string, which is strange.

This link would be useful (the first one is fine):

http://www.google.com/search?q=+php+gettext&btnG=Recherche+Google&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If we get this working, the next task would be to wrap _every_
echo/print/printf functions in the code by a gettext() function, create the
PO and give it to translators !

Regards,

--
Youcef R. Rahal