Re: Arabizing Arabeyes website (Todo)

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:10:08 -0800 Youcef Rabah Rahal <yrrahal42 at hotmail dot com>
wrote:
>Salam,
>
>>From: "Ahmad Twaijry"
>>Subject: Re: Arabizing Arabeyes website (Todo)
>>Date: Sun,  2 Nov 2003 14:35:13 -0800
>>
>>Even if I use gettext I must do some change in the SQL statment
>in php
>>files
>
>Well, of course. But this should be done somewhere in the beginning
>(when
>the language is chosen) so that the correct tables are used for
>queries.
>That way you will change minimially the PHP queries inside the code.
>
>The Arabic tables should be the exact copy of those in english.
>In fact
>maybe this could even be done without the need for new tables. Simply
>adding
>rows: like row1_en, row1_ar, row2_en, row2_fr? etc etc. If the corresponding
>>
>row does not exist, the website should display the default row (English?).

MySQL is the best :) You don't need to make columns for each language
(you mean columns right ?)  You just have to add one column for all the
languages , for example :

Before :

CREATE TABLE `example` (
`ID` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL ,
`Name` VARCHAR( 40 ) NOT NULL ,
`Description` TEXT NOT NULL
);

After :

CREATE TABLE `example` (
`ID` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL ,
`Name` VARCHAR( 40 ) NOT NULL ,
`Description` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`Language` ENUM( 'en', 'ar', 'fr', 'de' ) NOT NULL
)