Re: [general] New Arabeyes Drupal Website

Not yet fully ready with a good and covering reply :)
but, I will reply on urgent things, leaving my detailed project plan for another message tomorrow or maybe THU inshallah.

Walaykum Asalam

Ok, I organized the team this way...I am seeking feedback if any suggestion or so:

Team by task:

- Project Manager/ Coordinator: Farag
- Sys Admins:
		- Prototype Phase: Farag + Abderrahim
		- Final Phase    : adn + chahibi
- Arabic Support, Localization: Sameer + ???
- CMS Programming as a whole: Sameer + Abderrahim + Daif
- Themes, Graphics, Styles, Layout, Web Design: Farag + Abderrahim
- Documentation Maintenance: Farag + ???

> Please take the following notes and the previous emails, be practical
> and see what they'll lead to.

- I am doing that already...

Farag, in your server, can you setup four
> accounts for the above team? If not, please let us know ASAP so we set
> this up somewhere.

- Yes, it's just a shared account .. cannot restart server or anything but only with the hoster's assistance and approval which might take around 48 hrs.
What type of accounts? do you mean CMS admin accounts?

> More worky, less talky :) Should we meet Friday 18:00pm GMT? (website
> team) I personally will just be a bystander :-)
>
> In the future, could you guys use
> http://wiki.arabeyes.org/Website_Revamp to track the status of the
> project? using the wiki has proved very good at managing and letting
> people know what is done and what needs to be done.

- I strongly urge all to use it for documenting the work better than ever, instead of the list.
- I will send a detailed message here tomorrow inshallah with what I suggest in using the wiki for this project. I am putting another suggestion at the end of my replies for the better use of the whole wiki IMHO.

> * A prototype means a mostly working instance that takes minimal effort
> to integrate. i.e We need minimal code to get it up and running. Mostly
> just configuration.
>
> You may, of course, show off parts of the work from time to time, and
> you are encouraged to do that. At some point, we'll talk to adn to get
> you a subdomain so you install your stuff to the Arabeyes server, which
> would then be transferred as the main site when things are done.

- I divided the project plan into two phases:
- Prototype Phase: on my shared server (ae.arabbix.org)
- Final Phase: on the dedicated server of arabeyes.org

N.B. I will of course carefully check Abderrahim's install, and see what we can    do with it.

> I also think design should get into it. Feel free to leech off whatever
> graphics you may find on the current site.

Alright, thanks

> * Multinlingual: this is probably priority 1. It has to support both
> Arabic and English. If a compromise has to be reached, go for Arabic.
> i.e the emphasis has to be on Arabic.
>
> At one point we used to be a lot more geared towards upstream
> developers. Now our users are mostly Arabic speaking translators and
> developers.

I will rely on M. Sameer's experience for the Arabic support and localization part, especially if we finally went with Drupal (I am still need to double check if there is a better localized CMS out there..and report that..just to do my own homework).

> * Functionality: daif can help you a lot here as he saw code and he has
> proved capable of tweaking it. Here is what we need:
> - News.
> - Press section.
> - Contact, about.
> - A hall of fame section.
> - SVN information (howto and statistics).
> - Downloads.
> - Projects (this should largely mirror the current main projects page).
> Please allow for a "dead projects" subsection - could be as simple as a
> flag in the db. You can make it one big nice page if you want! but
> please let us have an easy way of adding/deleting projects. As Sameer
> described: each project should have icon, logo, description, and
> maintainer. The rest should go to the wiki I think. Just give a link to
> the wiki page.

- Arayeyes' Wiki seems used as a documentation and discussion board.
I also noticed a mix in the wiki content between both discussions and article content on the "article" section, while no one seems like to use the "discuss" tab!
Wiki needs sorting: taking opinions and discussion-natured posts to the "discuss" page. While keeping the "article" content in place, and wikifying it.

- I'd like to include a section in the website for hiring Arabeyes members.
Consists of profiles of members who like to announce their availability for
hire, as a service to members.
Also, as a next or parallel step, another section for companies or
individuals to post job requests in the field of computing in general and
open source, linux/unix and localization in particular. Let's say:
Arabeyes job forum.
It can include also a volunteer job section for our use and others' use.

> Khaled's idea of "sub-projects" may also be nice. But please leave it
> off for now until we see what you guys come up with.
>
> - Mailing list integration (subscription, etc)
> - Donate section.
> - Member list and profile pages.
> + it should allow for simple addition of other sections. I assume the
> popular CMS's make this simple ATM.
>

> One rule of thumb: KEEP IT SIMPLE. If you think you are making it too
> complicated, you probably are :)
>
> An example of a site that look good and is simple:
> http://www.transmissionbt.com/
>

> * On LDAP: adn, I know you are busy, but just let us know whether we can
> do this very easily. We currently have SVN + Wiki + trac + new site, and
> it would be nice to be able to integrate all three.
>
> * Choice of CMS: I'm honestly not too knowledgable of the differences
> between what's available. But here is one piece of advice, Farag:
> Pick one, research if necessary. Stick to it, and do it. Feel free to
> pilot and try what's available, and come to a rational conclusion :-).

I am going to do that check and comparison tomorrow.
As I said, I will need some more time, I hope to finish all that by Friday as you suggested, but, as this is a lot of work - at least for my current schedule - and as Abdurrahim suggested .. I'd prefer to make it an hour earlier prior to the general Sunday meeting.

Salam,

Mohamed