[general] Meeting report

Salam,

The first meeting in a series of summer meetings to get Arabeyes more
productive has been held today. Before carrying on with the
minutes/discussion, I'd like to remind you that the next meeting will be
held at the same time next week:

10 August 2008, 18:00 GMT (6 pm).

This meeting was very productive and was appreciated by all members.
Getting together helps clear issues faster as a bunch of minds thinking
together will always outperform them thinking seperatly.

Attendance:

* Mohammed Adnène Trojette (adn)
* Mohamed Madgy (alnokta)
* Muayyad AlSadi (alsadi)
* Youcef Chahibi (chahibi)
* Daif Al-Otaibi (daif)
* Mohamed Farag (farag)
* Ahmed Farghal (farghal)
* Ahmed Gharbeia (gharbeia)
* Jeremy Bicha (JeremyBicha - new member)
* Djihed Afifi
* Mohammed Kebdani (kebdani)
* Khaled Hosny (KhaledHosny)
* Mohammed Sameer (MSameer)
* Usama Akkad (Usama_Akkad)

Chahibi prepared a 2007 status document.

*** Arabeyes structure and core team:
In a series of steps to evolve from the old rigid Arabeyes structure,
the core team will ceast to exist as an official electable entity. We
are moving towards less centralisation and greater flexibility for all
people involved.

What we now have is a pure admin team that will take care of sina (the
server and its applications): adn, chahibi, daif. An honourable mention
to adn who has been doing an outstanding job over the last few years.
Honestly, I don't know where we would be had he not taken care of this.

SVN accounts will now be be handed over with greater flexibilty at the
request of maintainers.
We need an up to date SVN and translator howto wiki page. (chahibi?)

Project proposals will also be given with greater flexibilty. We realise
that this may lead to lots of potentially dead projects, but we don't
think the admin overheard will be too much.

*** Arabeyes services:
In no hurry, adn will look into the possiblity of flattening our SVN
repositories isntead of the current hierarchical setup. He will also
look into using one trac instance for all projects.

*** Techdict:
KhaledHosny and gharbeia will continue their work of maintaining the
Techdict.

farag will revise the techdict to remove terms that are technical but
not about computing.

Alnokta will prepare a wiki page of the most commonly used terms, based
on a script written earlier.

*** Website:

farag and daif will work together to prototype a new bilingual website
for Arabeyes. They appear to know best on the direction they'd like to
take this work, so we'll wait their report next week.

*** Web based translation
Djihed is prototyping a web translation tool. I'll report back next
week. I will also look into using transifex.

*** Registering Arabeyes as a legal entity:
Much debate has gone onto this. The main advantage is professionalism
and the flexibilty in attempting to get financial support. We eventually
decided to postpone this as it will take considerable time. We'll revise
the decision it later if we feel that it is necessary and that we have
the human resources to do it.

*** Translation:

Jeremy Bicha decided to work on KDE translation.
Ahmed Farghal has agreed to (and already started to) work on XFCE.

If I missed anything please let me know. The chat log is available here:

http:/files.djihed.com/arabeyes/030308.txt

Much reporting from us is waiting for next week!

Regards,

Djihed

--
Have a project you would like to be translated to Arabic?
Let us know:

Blog: http://djihed.com