[CRITICAL] A petition about OOXML (M$ Office Open XML)

Salam all,

Microsoft is proposing to ISO to make its standard OOXML an ISO standard. If
you haven't heard about OOXML, it's a standard (as M$ claims) that is used in
Office 2007, which is the worst ever, and moreover XML incompatible! So, it is
very important at least to read the petition[1], get an idea about this
proposal, sign the petition, and tell the others!

Another critical issue to know about OOXML is that it "ignores the fact that
the week-end is not Saturday and Sunday in the Muslim world, other Muslims
countries"!! More here[2].

What to do now? For webmasters and site owners, you can use this page[3] as
support against this move. For LUGs, we need to arrange for our local countries
and make seminars or whatever that can be done to raise people's awareness.

But what is the alternative? There is already a standard called ODF (Open
Document Format) which is also an XML standard used in OpenOffice.org and is a
free ISO standard that can be implemented without being liable to M$ or any
other. More info here.[4]

PLEASE ACT NOW!

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

[1] http://www.noooxml.org/petition