Re: OT: Microsoft Office OpenXML (OOXML) in Muslims countries

On 8/1/07, Bashar <big at kuwaitnet dot net> wrote:

> Benjamin Henrion wrote, On 8/1/2007 1:13 PM:
>
>  Hi all,
>
> Microsoft is pushing hard to get an ISO stamp on the broken file
> formats for Office named Office OpenXML (OOXML).
>
> Several arabic countries can and will participate in the vote, and
> they are taking decisions now.
>
> I have launched the <NO>OOXML campaign a while ago:
>
> http://www.noooxml.org
>
> And I am desperately looking for someone who speaks arabic fluently,
> in order to call the National Bodies, and to convince them to vote NO.
> In most of those countries (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Lybia, etc...) we
> have no idea what is going on, and we are afraid that Microsoft buys
> their votes, as it happens with Azerbaijan.
>
> If you can help, please let me know.
>
> Best,
>

>  Hello Benjamin,
>  lots of opensource groups such as Kuwait Opensource community has start to
> support your project and start putting banners on their respective websites
> and spread the word on their mailing lists.

Hi,

I have problems to find out what is happening in Muslim countries on OOXML.

Since the email does not work fine, I have tried to call the
standardisation body in some arabic countries in english, but I was
thrown out.

I urgently need your help to CALL NOW your national body and to
clarify the following questions:

1. Will they vote on the ISO DIS29500 (Office OpenXML or OOXML)?
2. Of yes, do they have a working group, or an expert committee to
deal with the issue?
3. Is it still possible to submit comments, and/or to have a meeting
with them to explain them the problems with the standard?

For Kuwait, you can expect Microsoft influence (as for Iraq).  Here
are the contact details for Kuwait:

http://www.noooxml.org/delegations

Kuwait 	KOWSMD 	Kowsmd at pai dot gov dot kw 	Tel: +965 530 26 26 	Fax:+965 530
26 25   http://www.pai.gov.kw/

Could you call them as soon as possible?

You can make a difference in convincing the people in your country,
because 1 country = 1 vote !!!

Best,

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403