Re: OLPC and arabic

--- Jim Gettys <jg at laptop dot org> wrote:
> We're hoping that one of the launch countries will be Arabic speaking.
>
> I'd like to get a better understanding of how (im)mature Arabic I18N and
> localization currently is, what remains to be done, and how it might be
> accomplished.
>
> Who might be a good person with this information?
>
>   Thank you,
>      Jim Gettys
>      V.P. Software, OLPC

Sorry for the delay - I'm forwarding your inquiry to Arabeyes' "general"
mailing-list [1] in hopes of getting various guesstimates and possibly
experiences of what people have seen firsthand regarding how far along
things are.

The various projects which Arabeyes is involved regarding I18N are all
noted on our website [2] - this list is by no means exhaustive but it
is an area in which various volunteers have shown interest.

If you're interested in collaborating we can certainly revisit our
laundry list of things that we'd love to see better Arabic support
within (such as Wine, a spec on terminal emulators, better fonts, etc).

[2] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php

Regards,