Re: Project Arabbix II Goals Discussion

> The ME is:
> In places poor, where Internet connection is scarce, or not fast.
> First language is not English, so proper Arabic support is a must.
> The industry/economy is not highly IT'ed just yet. There is room for
> OSS solutions and companies and they know how to play right. The CD
> gotta appear professional.

I agree 100%
>> To help focus the discussion I have the following goals that I believe
>> are necessary:
>>
>> 1. Must be installable on the HD
>> 2. Must have Parted (parition editor for Fat32, NTFS, EXT2, etc)
>> 4. Must have Arabic instructions on how to use the LiveCD and what you
>> can do with it
>> 5. Must have a light environment (XFCE4 for example) for all those 486s
>> out there in the ME. In addition to GNOME of course.
may I suggest directfb (www.directfb.org), It's the graphical library
behind the new debian graphical installer
(http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUI). It is lighter than X, and
doesn't have many unnecessary features, we can also boot (almost)
directly in graphic (The CD gotta appear professional. ) gtk+ has also
been ported.
the great problem is that xfce and gnome don't use pure gtk+ they depend
on X, and there is not a propoer window manager (some one is trying to
port metacity, I don't know what he has done.

> Unfortunately, XFCE is not Arabised yet, and IIRC there is no proper
> team yet. Ping Nadim and he will let you know.

Mohamed Magdy wanted to bring xfce translation here to arabeyes
http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2006/September/msg00288.html
You can post to the doc list, you may find someone interested.