Re: Urdu - [G-I] Indic and arabic fonts; which are be st? (Youssef and Christian) Petrişor) (jess body)

> Christian,
> Regarding the Urdu translation, I think that guys from www.urduweb.org will
> be interested in taking this up. If you can give a ball park estimate of the
> translation  work required (say, number of sentences), I can ask for
> volunteers on the urduweb forum.

D-I translation is organized in "levels" from level1 (the "core"
translation) up to level5 (most external stuff). This is explained in
details in the i18n documentation
(http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/i18n-doc/)

Level1 consists of 1452 strings right now. Strings go from one word up
to full paragraphs of 2 or 3 sentences (not more). We can estimate
this to about 2000 sentences.

Level 2 has about 600 strings, most of them being country names. So
much shorter strings

Level 3 has about 1200 strings, most of them pertaining to the
aptitude program, which is not that easy to translate

Level 4 is more tricky as it is mostly made of apt and dpkg programs
strings, so quite deeply technical strings

Level 5 is quite easier and short: about 250 strings

We will soon probably innvert level 5 and 4 and maybe even raise some
stuff in level 5 up to level 3...

http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/translation-status.html gives the
status of each language and columns headers allow accessing to the
files.

HOWEVER, I ask people who want to begin the translation effort to get
in touch with me first. DO NOT start translating before. We have
established a formalized process for each language to enter the
"game"...This process is described in the D-I i18n documentation, the
first step being getting in touch with D-I i18n coordinators (that
would be me actually).