Re: Is X lam-alef key OK?

--- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 03:37:45PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > --- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> > > Not true, AFAIK they do insert a presentation form into
> > > the document.  They don't insert 2 characters.
> > > Have a look at
> > >   /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/ar
> > > and/or
> > >   /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ar
> > > You'll find the presentation form there.
> >
> > Then that is wrong - it should insert 2 characters.  Whom should
> > we contact to correct this and/or whom do we present a patch to ?
>
> I don't know the hystorical details, But I think that they
> didn't like the idea that pressing one key inserts 2 characters.
> I guess there's also a simple thing, If you insert 2 characters
> then press the backspace key, How'll it know that it should delete
> the last 2 characters ??
>
> I really don't know who to contact!

I would guess it would be XFree86 and Xorg - as for their preference not
to insert 2 characters (or whatever reason they had), I think we ought to
revisit it/them or at least find out how to do the "right thing"(tm).

As for backspace (or delete) it should remove the last character, so in
this case it would remove the ALEF and keep the LAM (that is what most
applications do and has grown to be rather intuitive and I would even
guess expected not to mention the easiest way to implement things :-)

I'm sure other languages have this issue (on one extreme the likes of
Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK) and on the other latin languages with
accent marks).

http://mail.yahoo.com