Re: Arabic fonts on Mac OS X/Darwin

RnDea RnDea wrote:
Hey Guys!

It's great to find you on the web! Arab Eyes looks so
promosing for an Open Source Arabic.

I need to write a document in Arabic on Mac, that I
can actually send to a Windows users.

I have the Arabic support installed in my Mac OS X
10.2. When I write in TextEdit the fonts are not so
good.

ٌRun, do not walk, to Apple and upgrade to Tiger. It's worth it just for Expose and Spotlight. The Arabic fonts included look quite good to me.

Unfortunately TextEdit isn't so great. MS Word X doesn't support Arabic; neither does Pages (Apples new word processor). Mellel works quite well in Arabic but is not open source.

You might try X windows packages. Apple supports a port of X that seems to work pretty well, but I haven't tried it much. Maybe you could get Katoob to work. http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Katoob

See also http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

Please let us know if you find a good solution.

-gregg