Re: Mentorship program

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 15:17 -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
[...]
> > Obviously I am missing a lot of the action.
>
> You don't need to be given you are subscribed to the proper list(s).
> Almost everything we do is either on one of the mailing-lists and/or
> is archived in one of the files on our CVS (such as our weekly meetings).

Correct. I am missing a lot of the action, because I am unable to read
all my e-mails. Do you _really_ need the details?

> > I am wondering what will go into OAO and what will be Arabeyes area.
> > IIRC, openarabia is an 'all-out' open source place, for everything open
> > source, including LUGs activities, communities, general portal. Arabeyes
> > will still do development/translation, right? So, does mentoring, which
> > is linked to cvs committing, and participating in Arabeyes projects,
> > belong to OAO?
>
> It will be looked at as an educational venture - so don't look into
> it as procedural tutorials (as you seem to imply), but rather as
> overall style and substance - education and guidance.

I was implying nothing. In the e-mail you sent this was quoted:
--- Samy Al Bahra <samy at kerneled dot org> wrote:
> I believe that every new committer must be assigned a mentor. A new
> committer must tunnel any changes to code through his mentor for
> acceptance into the code base to make sure of quality. Once the new
> committer gains enough experience and the mentor feels that he is
ready,
> the committer would then be ready for mentorship of other new
developers
> and gains the ability to commit to his own projects with no approval
of
> other developers (as long as it isn't major). This is the process used
> by FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD/etc...

linking this to the referenced Moe e-mail, I understood committer as
'Arabeyes committer'. From these quotations there is committing and
mentoring.

As I see it, the question is still not answered but let me rephrase it.
What kind of coordination is there between Arabeyes and OAO, if at all?
And will their activities overlap?
Please do not bother to answer. Samy gave an answer to my original
question, based on trust. And I accept that.

> > By the way, will you please notify us in a more prominent way with
> > changes to core? In the front Arabeyes page we know about the addition
> > on April 26, nothing about the resignation of Samy. And may be we need a
>
> We've never noted resignations; again if you are interested in Arabeyes'
> internals (and we most certainly want to encourage more and more interest
> in all things related to this project), do please subscribe to the proper
> list ('core' in this instance).

Tricky. May be we will be notified when new core members are added due
to "The addition was prompted by __________ recent resignation".
Still, I agree that resignations need not be prominently displayed. We
need to know the management of course, and the equivalent of the
contact_us page will do, when the revamping occurs .

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri