RE: Volunteers, Unicode, previous examples and things

Dear Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya,

I't seems that Hebrew also faces very similar problems with arabic.
Last time, Mr Yousif mentioned that this aws not the case, and the
Bible (OT) did not have much problems to encode in unicode, because
they have a very good support from unicode. It seems that it is not
the case.

I think that it has been a big problem, but I'm too young to know the history of the thing. I think that it is very similar to Arabic, in that vowels are underneath the characters, pausal forms, and sukoon - sheva to encode. There are also markers that occur with the vowels to denote length (if you should require specifics, I will wholeheartedly defer to Mr. Milo).

The Hebrew Bible encoders have been diligently at work for many years. I am in touch with one of the project guru's, and will find out about Michigan system. Another problem of encoding came in a second round of encoding, when they entered the cantillation marks. I believe they did this in two stages, because the cantillation, which is the traditional synagogue reading, is less valuable to scholarship than the text itself.

(I'm a little young, so I wasn't around for this work, so take this for what it's worth.)

I think you are right about Gutenberg not being able to handle Arabic. Perhaps the Distributed Proofreaders model of project division which I have linked before will provide a useful model of several rounds of proofing.

> Another thought that I have had is that one way of mobilizing volunteers is
> by utilizing an already existing proofing format. I'm not sure if this is
> possible yet, but perhaps this will provide structure to the many levels of
> proofing that a task of this magnitude with require. This site also has the
> infrastructure for discussions and for the project director to standardize
> decisions, and to communicate with proofers.
>
> http://www.pgdp.net/c/activity_hub.php

Thanks,

Julie :)