Re: Quran data and encoding

--- Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya <meor dot ridzuan at gmail dot com> wrote:
> It's good that a discussion is going on. However, I think someone need
> to lead the discussion in a detailed manner so that a proposal to
> unicode can be made ASAP.

Since we all, by now, know M.Yousif tends to work in spurts with sometimes
prolonged periods of absence, I wanted to simply mention the proposal that
he's put together as yet another sample point and something to consider.

  http://vetsvoice.net/~yousif/prop.pdf
  http://arabeyes.org/~nadim/tmp/unicode_quran_prop.pdf (copy)

  http://arabeyes.org/~nadim/tmp/qu_prop.pdf (initial white-paper)

It was not submitted since we didn't think it would a chance and since we
didn't get consensus within our community on how to proceed.  I mention
these docs not to debate their contents but to raise awareness about the
shortcomings which we tried to address (once M.Yousif shows, we can debate
:-).  Another key aspect to ALL of this is our perpetual need to keep in
mind that whatever solution is decided upon needs to be "standardized" so
that others in the future have a roadmap they can proceed in and paramount
to all of this in the ability to properly display the encoded Quran on all
mediums including the console, various low-memory PDAs, etc and not solely
base it and have it depend on font technologies/abilities.

> I made the quran data public with the intention of getting the issues
> resolve. I've made my point the regarding the issues, and seems that
> others agree that those are the issues need to resolve, but they might
> differences in opinion on how to solve it, which is good.

Meor, I really think you need to start uploading alot of your documents and
data to Arabeyes' CVS for safe keeping (maybe create a working directory
under the Quran project for R&D purposes or similar, others can of course
contribute on a need basis).  If you are OK with idea do please let me know
and we'll take care of the setup off-line.

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com