tanween details

Hi,

Here's the summary. The source is al-NaHw al-waafiy, by Abbas Hasan, 12th edition (undated), Dar al-Mar at arif, Cairo, volume 1, pages 26ff.

Originally (I think he means once the dots had been replaced by other marks), it was written with an ordinary, full-sized nuun, as is sometimes done in poetry. Then they decided to replace the nuun with an abbreviated symbol, namely a second damma, fatha, or kasra, in order to avoid confusion between this extra nuun and other sorts of nuun.

This nuun is considered saakina (quiescent) and za'ida (extra); extra because it is not one of the original letters of the word, and

"this nuun - even if it is a single letter - is considered a complete word ... just like the conjunctive waw and fa, the genitive bi, and other "lexical letters" [my translation; the original is Hufuuf al-ma at aniy"]..."

Which provides a justification for omitting the tanween in an idaafa construction, since you can't have another word between the two terms of an idaafa, except when [etc. - there's always an exception!].

If I get ambitious I'll type up the text (a little over a page) with a translation.

Seems to me that this text, from the authoritative contemporary grammar of Arabic, provides pretty strong justification for encoding a tanween codepoint in Unicode.

-gregg