Re: Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint Extension toUnicodeforthe Encoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 14:21, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

> But we also should not hesitate to use the purely descriptive
> terminology of modern linguistics.  Remember most of the implementers
> who look at the encoding will have little or no Arabic.  Terms like
> "idgham" are definitely preferred as official names, but they should be
> accompanied by a precise English-language definition.

If by implementers you mean the IT guys coding up fonts and font renderers,
then I don't expect them to know modern english linguistic terms either. They
will need clear instructions on how the encoding is to be used, whatever
terminology is employed.

If you are talking about those like yourself and myself, i.e. interested in
arabic and the quran, then I should say that a few days spent learning the
basics of tajweed would provide enormous benefit to them in terms of
understanding the symbols they're looking at. This applies to arabs and
non-arabs alike.

wassalaam
abdulhaq