Re: Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint Extension toUnicodeforthe Encoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 13:42, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

> > In that transcription your first sample reads as follows:
> >
> > kitaabu-n (DMG: kitābu-n)
> >
> > The qur'anic assimilation of second one is not yet supported, but it will
> > read like this:
> > khushubu- m:usannadätu-n (DMG: ḫušubu- m:usannadätu-n)
> > As you can see, initial compensatory shaddä is treated differently from
> > morphological shaddä.
>
> Yes; this is an example where a very useful codepoint is unlikely to be
> endorsed by unicode.  We could use  two shaddas, one phonotactic and one
> lexical.  I think there might even be a third case but I can't think of
> it at the moment.

By using an idghaam codepoint they could be easily distinguished.

I feel compelled to say (to everyone here, not just you Gregg, and not
particularly in terms of this thread) that the arabs already have conducted
an immensely rich analysis of the arabic language and its morphology,
phonetics etc in respect of the quran. To abandon that (probably out of
ignorance rather than deliberately) would be an immense mistake.

We should stick to the time-honoured names that all good arab and muslim
scholars are already familiar with. To try and come up with a new lexicon
based on western phonetic and morphological terms is a big mistake.

I teach arabic here in the UK and those students who have learned arabic via
latin grammatical terms (nominative, accusative, cognate accusative etc) are
at an immense disadvantage in studying the subject compared to those who know
the far better suited arabic terms. To repeat that orientalist disaster here
would be extremely negligent.

wassalaam
abdulhaq