Re: Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint Extension to Unicode forthe Encoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

Hello Abdulhaq,

>I agree. An important factor is being able to render the quran as it is
>usually rendered, and using current technology. Injecting XML into that would
>mean that the encoding could not be displayed in everyday software.

Well, injecting the kind of XML elements we are talking about into the text is not meant to affect the rendering of the text since the rendering is solely dependent on the sequence of Unicode codepoints in the text regardsless of these XML elements. These XML elements I was referring to do not have any style changes, i.e. they are not style or presentation oriented XML elements. Rather they are meant to capture the semantic of the text. Although an XSL stylesheet could be used to add style as well. Since XSL is supported in browsers now such style should be viewable as well.

The thing is that the contemporary Qur'an printings are almost completely render-able today with Unicode using a character-based (not glyph based) encoding scheme, only a few mode codepoints need to be addded that's it. The XML elements and other such high level semantics we are talking about address what is beyond the rendering, i.e. text analysis. So the rendering problem is almost solved, IMHO.

Kind regards,
Mete

--
Mete Kural