Re: Quran data and issues in encoding the Quran in unicode

Thomas Milo wrote:
>>> 1. Mohamed Zakariya told me sequential tanween was practised in the
>>> North African tradition.
>>
>> Hmm.. interesting information. Do you know since what century it has
>> been used? By the way when you say North Africa are you also
>> referring to Egypt or do you mean that it's a Maghribi tradition?
>
>He must have meant North Africa because
>
>A. he spent maney years in Morocco
>B. I have a Magribi style mushaf that uses sequential tanween. There they
>are always aligned horizontally, which gave me the idea that they were
>"sequential tanween" in the first place.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

>>> 2. I concur that a clean encoding should leave tanween as such intact
>>> (whether it is encoded as fatha-fatha of fathatan etc would be
>>> immaterial) so that the phonetic variants need a separate code point.
>>
>> I agree with you that the best way to handle this is to keep the
>> tanween intact and use a special codepoint that comes after the
>> tanween codepoint in order to trigger the variant sequential tanween
>> glyph.
>
>I hope you get my point that encoding tanween as sequential harakat has the
>additional bonus that it also keeps i`raab intact: one can scan again for
>/yawma/ to hit both /yawma-n/ and /al-yawma/.

That is a good point. So in that case canonical equivalence has to be declared for fatha+fatha=fathatan, damma+damma=dammatan, and kasra+kasra=kasratan. Also an additional special codepoint that triggers the variant tanween glyph is needed as well.

Regards,
Mete

--
Mete Kural