Re: Arabeyes -- a critique

Salam,

hmm hmm, well I don't see coherence in you post:

>what
>will become of Arabeyes once the Arabization of FOSS is complete? Or is
>this a never ending process?
>If indeed it is a never-ending process then
>one can safely state that Arabeyes has degraded to its initial state of
>being a bunch of general ideas and no conrete goals.

What do the questions have to do with the answers you gave I don't see
a relation btw doing translation for 20 years and Arabeyes being
degraded to "its initial state...".

>technical expertise is seriously lacking

Hmm, sure we are no experts but from my experience for eg. I started
and barely could write an arabic word with my PC today I know enough
to claim that I am doing concise and precise translations. What I want
to say is that you are not born as an expert you become one whether by
self-lerning or by learning from others.
Sure a mentor program is good still do you want to make every newcomer
go through a mentor program? Ok loose every newcomer then by now?
Better have a bad translation then no translation, and this brings me
to the first point, AS you are speaking about translation efforts
where is the new horizon you wanted to show us by questioning the fact
that we are only translating software...

We still have problems ordering our internals, I think that's why
people can't really focus over the big picture. On the other hand
efforts like standardization and making Arabeyes a legal entity are
right steps in that direction. And also, what do you want Arabeys to
be ? Arabeyes is a project which incorporates nearly everything from
fonts to software regarding Arabic and FOSS. I personally always
thought we are even doing too much! Still we don't have enough money
nor people to even make basic things as translate KDE for eg.
I want to say, yeah let us even redefine Arabeyes to a food maker but
how? If you don't have enough resources.

Well I don't care much about fame or prizes, at the end what really
matters (in the deb case) is that you have an Arabic installation
procedure, if we can participate in any form why not? What the other
ppl think of us good or bad does not interest me to be honest. If the
product works with 10% or 90% help from us then great Arabic works
under FOSS, goal reached, let's move to the next.

Arafat