Re: Questions about yeh, hamzah on yeh, alef maksura and dotless ba

Mohammed Yousif wrote:
> On Saturday 31 December 2005 17:22, Thomas Milo wrote:
>> Mohammed Yousif wrote:
>>
>>>  - If they are to identify the "e" sound Yeh not like the rest of
>>>    dots, then I really don't know how this should be handled because
>>>    these two dots in this context can not be considered part of the
>>>    final shape of the letter Yeh since they add more information to
>>>    the already known letter Yeh and that's not the scope of dots in
>>>    Arabic. Maybe in that case U+064A should be used as a Yeh
>>>    specialization, but then I wouldn't like that solution.

I am not sure what you are describing here. If you mean the explicit /y/ or
/ii/ function as  expressed by two dots, then I understand. For that sort of
problems IMHO the best theoretical solution would be to consider the dot
patterns (not just for yeh, but _all_ five of them) as separate graphemes
entitled to their own code point in Unicode. If that principle were extended
to all Arabic-derived characters, then that would also simplify font design
for Unicode dramatically. A couple of years ago I described this in a
well-established scienfific journal:

www.decotype.com/publications/Manuscripta_Orientalia.pdf

>> The word /stay'asuw/ in Q12:80 is rather a spanner in the works: its
>> existence implies that there can be no rule that the sequence Yeh,
>> Hamza can be trusted to be Yeh+Hamza_above/below.
>>

> The well established Qur'an sciences can be employed to know if the
> hamza is above/below or standalone.  Namely, the Rasm science, it
> disambigu clearly this type of situations and identifies the various
> variations that can exist with other types of Masahef "Maghribi
> Mushaf...etc".

If it's not a simple straightforward rule, it cannot be expected to be built
into a font. So our earlier idea of assuming that the string (any) YEH
followed by hamza could be substituted by a single - ligature! - YEH+HAMZA
(above or below according to Qur'anic rules and locale) turns out to be
false.

> Along with that, there is the fact that Qur'an has been taught over
> the years from generation to generation by the mouth. Which means
> that Mushaf is not the only way to know the nature of a specific
> element or letter.

Again, this fact is only relevant for digitizing the Qur'an if this
knowledhe can be formulated as a set of objective rules and built into a
font.

>> Meor's present encoding of this transparent Hamza as U+0640 TATWEEL.
>> U+0654 SUPERSCRIPT HAMZA is IMHO untenable from both a linguistic
>> and calligraphic point of view: tatweel is not a grapheme (i.e., not
>> part of any orthography), and it is totally font and calligraphy
>> dependant. It happens to be used in such positions by the recent
>> Egyptian and Saudi editions, but a robust encoding and rendering
>> solution should not depend on ad hoc such innovations. I prefer to
>> encode this hamz as U+0621 and then make sure the hamza is
>> positioned between the surrounding characters rather that on top of
>> the first one - without having to resort to a tatweel.
>>

> Can't agree more. Actually, the original ArabeyesQr implements this
> by using only U+0640 for this type of standalone Hamza but that made
> the font quite complex because no direct support from Unicode exists
> for this type of situation and maybe Meor thought it's easier to just
> use Tatweel.

I admire Meor's efficiency in creating a first workable Qur'an using Unicode
and OpenType components. But there are still a couple of open ends that are
not his fault, but that are the consequence of font technological
limitations.

Best wishes for the New Year,