Re: Arabic on OpenSolaris?

Hi,

Solaris already supports both ISO8859-6 and UTF-8 (both include Arabic support), and the desktop (AKA Sun Java system desktop) is based on Gnome and hence it includes the localized Arabic gnome that Arabeyes develop :)

Regards,
Waleed

Gregg Reynolds wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody have any experience using Arabic stuff on OpenSolaris? I've just been googling around for info on Sun's open source initiatives re: Solaris and it looks very promising indeed, assuming the licensing is ok. (See for example http://www.opensolaris.org/os/,
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zones/
http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/Nexenta_OS,
etc.)

ZFS in particular looks almost miraculous; that alone is almost enough to make me switch. If I were in charge of a data center looking at Open Source stuff I'd take a long hard look at some version of OpenSolaris. So why not Arabbix/OpenSolaris?

I know there's considerable effort being made to produce an Arabbix based on Ubuntu linux; I wonder how well Solaris does Arabic, and how hard it would be to Arabize it. It might make a great pairing with Ubuntu - Arabixx/Solaris for the server room, Arabbix/Linux for the desktop.

-gregg