Re: Tanween variants and Unicode

Hello Meor,

From: Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya <meor dot ridzuan at gmail dot com>
>So, if your concern is about unicode does not want to accept a new
>codepoint, why not do this: proceed with your proposal, but make sure
>the features that we require are hightlighted and spelled out as
>clearly as possible. We do not want to introduce more ambiguity. While
>you are at it, you might want to suggest to them to at least change
>the description for superscript alef. So, if that get standardize, the
>only thing missing is the small superscript waw. I'm not sure how to
>takcle that.

My concern is not that Unicode does not want to accept new codepoints but rather that new codepoints that break graphemic integrity should not be added. God willing Tom and I will work to the best of our ability to make sure these new features are added to Unicode Arabic in the manner that is clear and understandable.

>At the same time, it might be a good idea for arabeyes to work on
>something on how to make it backword compatible with other
>technologies. One thing that come into my mind is to assign those
>missing glyph to PUA, so that we can use it consistently across our
>application. Others might want to follow.

PUA would be the place to use for these experimental initiatives.

>Lastly, we need to start to develop search algorithm. I'm not sure how
>we can develop one, based on your proposal. Maybe you have a better
>idea. (This is not my area really, since I'm not an expert in Arabic).

Yes search algorithm is important. Unfortunately I won't have the time be able to contribute to search algorithm efforts for at least another year. Anyone else who wants to start right now I would appreciate the effort.

Regards,
Mete

--
Mete Kural