Re: Tanween variants and Unicode

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
So, seems like my timezone is totally different from the rest ...

Hi,

Very busy these days, so no time till tomorrow to comment on some of these interesting issues, but one or two practical things...

have proofs for it. The other tool is fontlab. Try creating GSUB and
GPOS table with fontlab, and I think you will go crazy. Maybe Gregg know better.

I think in principle it should be possible to write specs for these tables in a higher level language, so that they can be shared among font developers. I found I was able to make some GSUB tables the way I wanted, but it turns out none of the OT engines out there supports the full logic of Open Type! For example, I wrote contextual tables to select the proper glyph for tanween, so e.g. <damma><tanween> would do the right thing. Worked just great inside of the Fontlab environment, but not in any of the editors I tried (notepad, word, some mac editors, etc.) Fontlab tech support told me that only a few Adobe products support contextual substitution in GSUB. :(

So it looks like we really need to write an OT Service provider to work with Freetype. Anybody game? I've started looking at the Freetype code; it's very clean and well-organized, and they have a bunch of OT stuff that they're migrating out of FT, since it is outside of the scope of FT.

Another important thing about technology: Pocket PC 2003 does not
have full opentype support. I'm not sure about palm, but I doubt it
has. So, we can't display the text on those platform. I think these platform is very important for displaying the Quran, since it is the most convenient for all. ( I really would like to get one
specifically for reading the Quran).

Don't forget cell phones. I think it will be very common in future to have text stuff displayed on cell phones. In the muslim world, there will no doubt be services that allow one to download a verse or a page or sura etc. to one's phone.

On side note, I've just started to understand how Visual Truetype works (sort of). My problem was I started with arabic font, but all
of the documentation/samples/terminology are very tailored to latin
font. Yesterday I decided to use Bitstream Vera font, remove the
hint, and start hinting the font by going thru the document. I
finally understand something!! However, I'm still not sure how I can
apply those concept / method to arabic font. I'm thinking of using
bitstream font and merge it with my font to get a complete font. The
license seems to permit such modification, but not sure the
implication of doing that.

Be sure to take a long look at the license. I don't know what the legal status would be of mixing a GPL font with Vera. Might be better to use the GPL fonts at http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/. FYI, my plan (well, hope, anyway) is to add Arabic (and some other) glyphs to the monospaced Courier-class font in the collection and then hint it for on-screen viewing, so we will have a high-quality monospaced font for use in text editors. Since all the characters now in the font have uniform stroke widths and very simple forms, I hope it won't be too difficult for a non-designer like me to come up with Arabic glyphs of compatible design. We'll see.

-gregg