Re: Justification (was Re: Unicode Font Maker)

Tatweel is only the very basic method of justifying arabic text, which
in actual calligraphy, calligraphers seldom use it. Most of the time
they will use alternate glyph (such as a wide kaf), either to make it
wider or to compressed it more. Paul Nelson from Microsoft did
mentioned in Volt community (I asked the question) that MS approach is
to compressed the line as much as possible, then later to make it
wider using tatweel.

So, my earlier question is not just how a software should do the
justification, but rather on how the whole thing should be tackle.
>From Mr Milo brief description, I don't quite get how his appraoch
/technology handle it .

Basically, there are 2 component required for this:

1. Font itself. This should be designed by professional calligraphers,
implement by font technology expert (well, maybe we don't need an
expert level). The font should be able to provide all the necessary
glyph and information on how justification should be done (speficic to
the font, either how to enpand it or to compress it) Since I'm not an
expert in calligraphy, I don't know much on the exact techniques to
expand/compress text. just from my observation of the Quran Mushaf.

2. The rendering technology. The technology should be general/flexible
enough to take the full advantage of what a font has to provide (in
terms of justification), or if the font does not provide it, it must
be able to do basic justification technique by inserting
tatweel/spaces at appropriate places.

If we have these features, users doesn't have do anything when
encoding the text. It is in my opinion that the 2 should be seperated,
so that any calligraphers can design their own font with their own
preferences.

At the moment, Opentype does have JALT table, but I think it is not
sufficient because we don't have the options on how to compress the
text, only to expand (I think , because it does have only one table).
Plus, no software is known to take advange of it (not sure software
from Adobe)

I don't know much about Mr Milo ACE technology, but if he allows third
party font designers to design a font for his technology, I would be
interested to know.

Regards.