Re: Unicode Font Maker

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
Thomas,
Are you suggesting that the font is a tremendous improvement because
the font does not have any ligature? This is a sincere questions, not
to belittle you. I would like to share my experience in this regards.
Although I'm neither a professional font developer nor expert in the
field, I do find a problem with fonts without ligature. Of course ,
this can be solve, but need some consideration.

Actually, I've done some work on this to the extend that all typical
ligature is replaced, and I would say the font I develop is good. The
font does have more alternatives then just lam alef sequence. I've
sent a screenshot of the font to Mete, and Gregg if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, and it looks very good.
Anyway, that's the theory. When I try to use it (by using CSS), guess
what? The inter-word key does not work! It still insert tatweel here
and there. So, what is the problem? Just imagine a tatweel inserted
between lam and alef ! That is just an example, althgouh they might be

Sounds like a bug in the justification routines to me. As a work around, did you try something like inserting a ZWJ between the lam and alif? Or maybe there's some other invisible unicode char that would inhibit the tatweel extension.