Re: Article on native language project

Hi Mohammed,
Thanks for forwarding my reply. I'll be more carefull about the From
address.

[snip]
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, M Elzubeir wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:14:31 +0200 (IST), Jonathan Ben Avraham
> <yba at tkos dot co dot il> wrote:

> > 3. "Shaping" of Arabic numbers
>
> Hindi numerals don't have shaping (also incorrectly known as Arabic
> numerals) does not require or have shaping.

By "Arabic number shaping" I meant representing representing numbers using
what the Unicode standard calls Arabic-Indic forms (Codepoints
U+0660..U+0669. For example, a cell in Calc that has the number five in it
could be displayed as "5" in a European language and "o" in an Arabic
language setting. Similarly in Writer, when the author types a numberic
key 5, in some Arabic locales you would want this to be displayed as "o".
We had an interesting discussion with Waleed about exactly which Arabic
locales would prefer to see European nurmeral forms and which would prefer
Arabic-Indic. BTW, we are hoping to convince Sun to start supporting
Arabic number shaping in Java sometime soon.

[snip]

> > 4. Installation options such as language and default fonts
> > 5. Canned texts such as fax form, resume, memo
>
> Okay, but these are not special -- ie. all languages require this type
> of localization and are not necessarily RTL specific.

You are correct.

[snip]
> Jonathan, could you please put those files in a non .il domain? It
> seems that our friends here at Etisalat believe that blocking all of
> .il would help our productivity. Let's just say, it's not helping (and
> going through alternative proxies is just too slow to be tolerable).

I'll post this on the OpenOffice.org RTL languages site and send you the
URL.

> Regards

Regards,

 - yba