Re: Lebanese LUG meeting breakdown

--- Arafat Medini <lumina at silverpen dot de> wrote:
> I don't want to be sarcastic here, but after passing
> many weeks "living"
> the mono/.net/longhorn threats, the developments in
> the linux world
> after Novell came in and with it's release of
> iFolder/simias under GPL,
> crossplatform developments (are GUIs obsolete?) the
> flamewars with the
> gnome developers etc etc...KDEs ppl working towards
> 4.0 (don't forget
> the embedded market...)... I am really wandering if
> these "enlightened
> beings" did ever concider which demographics they
> will target with a
> Distro running enlightenment?!!!

Thats not sarcasm. Your point is valid. But of course,
this is a live CD, and all live CDs except for the
most serious ones (like Mandrake Move) aren't really
'targetting' any markets or demographics at all. They
are being developed simply "for the heck of it!", so
people's programming skills don't grow rusty :)

Even Arabbix, which is arguably the most professional
Arabic distro, isn't really a viable solution to the
OS problem yet. Do you know anyone who actually uses
Arabbix on a day-to-day basis?

Personally I agree with you that Enlightenment isn't
the best choice and I would have gone with GNOME or
KDE, but thats not the issue. The issue is, now that
an Arab developer group are making a distro, how can
we (Arabeyes) help them, and gain a few PR points?

Abdulaziz,