Lebanese LUG meeting breakdown

Salam to all,

I attended the Lebanese LUG meeting today, and I must
say I was quite impressed. I saw a group of people
each of whom had a rainbow of skills. They also seem
to be uber-efficient and _extremely_ organized.
Attendance was also quite robust (I counted 21 heads).

I could tell you everything that was discussed, but
I'll save myself the work and just wait until the
minutes are out and post a link to them :), I'll try
to mention the things that won't be in the minutes.

I was asked to speak a little about Arabeyes :) and
tried to give them the gist. They were pretty
impressed when I mentioned that Mandrake was 100%
Arabized and Fedora will be 100% Arabized by the next
release, and they were more impressed when I mentioned
we hope to have a fully Arabized gnome 2.8 :)

They were gathering suggestions as to what packages
should be included in their distro EMBARK (Debian
based), and I suggested they try out and see what they
like from the Arabeyes collection. I think Katoob and
BiCon are a shoe-in.

As for EMBARK's Arabization, they don't want it to be
an 'Arabic' distro per se, but they definitely want it
to support Arabic out of the box. THIS is where I was
asked to seek help from Arabeyes! I don't really know
much about this matter, but I said if they included
the Arabic locale package along with fribidi it should
be fine, but I'm not really sure about this. Also,
they have chosen to dump both KDE and GNOME and use
Enlightenment as the default desktop with XFCE as a
second choice... hmmmmm...

In short I was unable to provide them with all the
necessary information on the spot, but they said they
needed an outline, an integrator's guide if you will,
of what you should do to get a live CD to support
Arabic out of the box. I assume this involves a lot
more than just installing whatever's necessary to run
the setxkbmap command :). If anyone can help me write
this integrator's guide that would be peachy... No
rush, since its still early days, but don't puff up
your pillows either!

I notice that the CVS for Arabbix contains almost
nothing but a few todos and readmes. Where's all the
guts of the thing? Its better to let others who want
to create a distro to model it after ours, instead of
reinventing the wheel.

Well, thats all for now. Will give more info when I
get it.

Abdulaziz,