Re: Attending a LUG meeting

well my view is very different.
I spoke with many Tunisian ppl and the first answer I got is: Arabic is
not cool enough! Or Arabic is not modern at all, also: Arabic is not the
language of sciences and it has poor vocabulary for science support. The
cause of all this is ignorance.

A very widespread idea is that ppl think Arabic is only a written dead
language whereas the real game is going on with the lahajat. Well I
don't know how the gulf percieves the problem, but in Tunisia only the
REALLY proud ppl of the south or the ppl of Alqasba in Tunis speak very
high Arabic and speak on TV with pure Arabic and they are very highly
regarded, ppl from the south still make shi3r till today and they are
very famous with it. Ppl who speak real Arabic are, at least in Tunisia,
socially very respected, it seems to me that tunisians like Arabic!!!.
So The problem is, after seeing these two cases,IMHO it's not that
Arabic became only a written language, it's more that Arabic became an
uncool language for science, modernity and evolution.
And that is IMHO because of the ignorance of the scholars themselves who
are very much against pushing Arabic towards modernity (well it's the
whole region that's lost from the horizon of globalization) and the ppl
who are seeing europe and it's languages as the one and only truth on
this earth,  I'm really enjoying the moment when Arabs will have to
learn chinese Ideographs to write down Maths, hehe...

Well here in germany we have more dialects then in the whole Arabic
region!!! Still ppl accept using the lingua franca which is not used in
the majority of the regions in germany. Same thing goes for japan, I
watched once a gameshow where some japanese went to the extreme south to
find a tresor and they couldn't communicate at all with the other
japanese living there!!!funny indeed...

Well yeah I am indeed talking about those ppl but I think, as said, that
those are the REAL problem.
Not the ones who can barely speak Arabic cz they can understand it when
it is spoken!!! in TV radio newspapers it's the lingua franca that is
used and all understand it and as long as they do they will for sure
don't have any problem with interfaces.

One thing I want to say, I think we underestimate the role of Arabic in
the lives of Arab ppl, you are in contact EVERY DAY with media: TV,
newspapers, books, radio etc... and ALL of them are in Arabic. So the
real Arabic is still part of our daily culture!!!

Arafat

p.s: still pls ask!
في ث, 2004-05-18 السّاعة 11:14 -0700, Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj كتب: