Re: Focus

--- Ossama Khayat <okhayat at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> > There are no 'written' rules. Look through the
> > archives and see the announcements of the joining
> > of any new member to 'core' -- you will see a list
> > of descriptions of why that person was nominated
> > and asked to join.
>
> I know and believe in this. I am suggesting this be
> added. Just a suggestion.

I agree, I think we need to at a min give a very general view
on what constitutes a need at a minimum.  I'll try to put something
into words at some point (it will be very general though).

> > And as Youcef has said (which is probably more
> > important) -- if adding a new member doesn't greatly
> > enhance the work done, then there is no point in
> > simply incrementing the number. For instance, a
> > new member is to join.. what tasks would he/she
> > take on? Does that help in general?
>
> This is a very valid point. That's why you should
> implement the annual voting system ;-)

There are 2 items noted here.  Adding a member to 'core' has in
the past been done strictly to fulfill some needs we've had.  Now
that we are at a comfortable number (with possibly adding 1 more
member to simply have an odd number of people to bring forth the
simplification and removal of point-8 in the charter once an
urgent need arises) we need to simply concentrate on the work
at hand.

Elections, on the other hand, should be there (I am all for 'em)
to give different people a chance to partake in the experience
and to play a role in the direction and future of this project.
When you have 8 people vying for 5 positions (for instance),
people's leadership, work ethic and contributions will be paramount
(as that is what you expect from a 'core' member) and that will
heighten those qualities in all people looking to be a part of
this effort.  Hope that made sense ;-)