Re: Quranic Proposal - Dynamic glyph substitution with OpenType

On إثنين 14 يونيو 2004 20:21, Thomas Milo wrote:
> Hi Nadim,
>
> You are coming through loud an clear.
>
> > Thomas (not sure if my questions are reaching you, but here goes another
> > one), h (and I'm not talking
> > about hacking/creating something on our own either) ?
>
> OT technology has already a solid bridgehead on the MS windows platforms
> NT5 and later; Adobe InDesign also renders OT on MacOSX; MacOSX itself is
> steadily increasing its Arabic support. I am copying this messge to the
> Apple Font department to get their time estimate for full OT and or ATSUI
> support for Arabic.

  I think Nadim meant the behavior of the fonts (that you suggested).
  So the question (I think) is:
       How long do you expect your suggestions about implementing the
       various types if tanween making its way to the end-user from the likes
       of microsoft and/or adobe? (i.e. in their fonts)

> > Finally, why is this "font technology" only specific to Arabic - why
>
> aren't
>
> > such things being proposed and/or discussed and pursued (and maybe they
> > are) for umlaut-type characters in German/Swedish/etc (out of curiosity)
> > ?
>
> It is not at all specific for Arabic. You guessed it right, OT is already
> very useful for the characteristic diarrhoea of Latin alphabets :-) (ACE
> was developed specifically for Arabic, though)

  Then, this needs to be done for the Latin ranges first then Arabic and
  the rest of ranges.
  As long as this is not done for Latin ranges, I don't think they should be
  done for Arabic (Arabic ranges really need to be consistent with the Latin
  ranges)

  Sorry for this question but I'm really confused, Will ACE be included in the
  Unicode Standard? if not then I think it should be better to concentrate on
  Unicode specific issues.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt