Re: Clarification of what initiated the recent Quran proposal discussion

On سبت 12 يونيو 2004 14:25, Mete Kural wrote:
> We saw some
> samples of his font technology and was quite impressed
> by it. Here is a sample Quran PDF:
> http://69.55.224.165/2-33-35-39-48.pdf

  Yes, it's impressive but it would be much better if these
  things are resolved within Unicode itself.

> I asked him again whether I could simply forward his
> criticism to the proposal in the personal note that he
> sent me and he permitted me to do that. And this whole
> new thread of discussion regarding the Quran proposal
> started like that. Please recognize that his initial
> criticism was meant to be a personal note to me and
> not one prepared for this public mailing list so
> consequently it was received not very well.

 I realized that from the beginning and took it onto account btw.

> The
> discussion unfortunately turned into a prestige
> battle.

  On my side, it's not a battle at all. I even do not care whether people
  start insulting me or not because they don't know me so any personal
  criticism is simply not valid.
  But if anyone is offended by some of my words, then please just ignore
  them and concentrate on the rest of my words. (But keep in mind that
  I never intended to offend anyone, and when I do I will not use a public
  mailing-list for that)

> There was also no need to turn this into an
> "Arab teaching a non-Arab the Arabic language"
> situation. Tom is very well versed in Arabic and a
> fluent speaker so it is not necessary to lecture him
> on the Arabic language, especially Quranic typography.

  Is that the thing that offended you?
  I didn't try to lecture, it is that I don't expect everyone to know Arabic
  and the posts didn't help either because they contain some confusion
  and in some cases false information about Arabic in general and the
  Qur'an in particular (which I already mentioned so please if you have
  any comments make them clear)
  Anyway, there is no reason to be offended. If someone already knows
  what I have said, then that is great because there would be no need to
  say the same thing all the time.

> Please let's correct this situation and let's start a
> fresh new discussion thread in a more formal manner
> without getting at the personal level. Let's solely
> discuss the technical merits of the said proposal and
> the existing criticism for it in an amicable manner
> and try to come to a mutual understanding in order to
> devise a joint proposal that details a uniform way to
> encode the Quran in Unicode - including any characters
> that need to be added. Insha-Allah we can accomplish
> this.

  I already commented on all the points mentioned by the criticism.
  Why would we need to go through that again?

  If someone has more criticism, please point them so they can be
  discussed.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt