CVS Commits Notification Flood

Salam,

As I am sure man of the folks on the CVS list [1] were less than happy
to see the flood of email notifications flood their mailboxes, I thought
I would make a couple points.

Please, _always_ use 'cvs import' as described in the CVS HOWTO [2]
whenever you are adding directories with files inside of them (almost
always the case).

There is also another 'trick' that is not documented in the CVS HOWTO,
which, now, I think should probably be. I intentionally left it out
because it was something only a couple people used (including myself). I
will add it to the CVS HOWTO as soon as I get a chance:

How to tell the cvs notification email to shut up!

- including the string 'CVS_SILENT' in your commit message.

e.g.

CVS_SILENT - sync'ing the GNOME po's with the mothership

or something similar. This _will_ send _you_ the person who is making
the commits notification emails, but not the lists. It will do
everything else as usual (add it to your cvs history database, etc.) but
will simply not bother the rest of the world on the cvs list about it.

Please don't use it unless you absolutely need to. Normally it's helpful
only during a sync with another CVS where many files are involved.

Reference(s):