Suse 9.1 : arabic websites illegible

hallo,

my arab eyes can't see through the internet any more!

to be more specific: with Suse linux 8.2 i could read arabic websites
perfectly well, but with Suse 9.1 they are illegible. this is a big
problem for me, as i need the arabic internet for professional reasons.

the support suggested that there was a bug and i should report it.
but so far i got no response when i reported the bug, and their mailing
list m17n did not respond, too.

do you suffer from the same problems? or do you have 9.1 and are happy?

is there any workaround?

1. How to reproduce:

with mozilla and konqueror for example the following websites
are not rendered properly

http://www.frankfurtbook-arabguest.net/index(a).html

http://www.qantara.de/webcom/show_softlink.php/_c-339/_lkm--1/i.html?PHPSESSID=d6d5daf180b08ab0ce6d4437988a498f

2. This is not working:

when i select in mozilla
edit/preferences/appearance/fonts

then for Arabic

the default is

    serif

(for serif,sans-serif,cursive,fantasy,monospace)

with this default the websites are totally illegible: they have some
pseudo-arabic feeling, but the fonts are looking very strange.

when i select
   Arabic Newspaper
things are somehow better: I can read some things, but not all - in
arabic the letters have to be joined sometimes and this does not work in
some cases. sometimes a letter is put below the line.

the "arabguest"-site looks fairly well but even there this problem
appears and one letter is replaced by something strange

the "qantara" site looks much worse

i have tried to select other things besides

 Arabic Newspaper

but nothing seems to solve the problem

as far as i know i have installed all arabic fonts that came with suse
9.1

with suse linux 8.2 there was not problem at all for these websites. and
there was no special configuration necessary.
i still have this linux version, but on another computer which now has
severe problems with its hard disk . so i cannot rely on it.

thanks a lot for every hint.

    petra duenges

--
Petra Dünges