Re: Open Issues & Todos

On Sunday 04 January 2004 12:26, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa> wrote:
> > Secretely, I took the responsipility/ownership of this task and think I
> > managed to find a very nice solution.
> >
> > This task is:
> >  - Content Management System (CMS) Arabization
> >    + CMS's like phpnuke/postnuke/xoops/etc use CP-1256 and NOT UTF-8
> >    + Need to instruct module owners to NOT use CP-1256 and use UTF-8
> > instead - This is very important as more and more people opt to use CMS -
> > UTF-8 should be the default option at a min
> >      - Current implementations don't even allow one to use UTF-8 Arabic
> >    + Need to stress the importance of UTF-8 esp. for open source projects
> >    --> Involved:
> >        = NONE
> >    --> Status/Plan:
> >        = Someone needs to look into this and report back (take ownership)
> >
> > The answer is Drupal. (http://www.drupal.org/)
> Munzir, there was no "right" answer to this task.  We need, as is noted,
> to educate those developers to use UTF-8 encodings and make that the
> default.  You might love drupal while others might not, the net is filled
> with Arabic phpnuke/postnuke/xoops/etc sites and they are all CP-1256
> (including linux4arab and other so-called opensource advocates primarily
> due to short-comings in the packages).  In short, an educational campaign
> and a mass mailing to the package developers and contributors is needed
> to "force" them to revert to UTF-8 as a default.

I agree we need to educate them about using UTF-8. Till then, I would not find
any execuse for any open source site which use 1256 encoding without telling
us why drupal, webGUI, ... is not up to the task.

Munzir Taha
PGP Key available:

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA