Re: Arabic DrakX

On Saturday 03 January 2004 18:50, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I posted here a few weeks a list of things to do in drakX for fix the
> Arabic fonts issue in Mandrake's installer.

Yes, your steps are very clear and it's my fault I can't keep up with all
issues pending. I tried your method and had some questions but couldn't find
time to post my questions. Again, it's my fault. That said, I am giving more
priority to bug them with these issues rather than trying to fix it in a
customized version. If they fail to make it in 10.0 then no choice but to do
it ourselves.

> Since no one has done it, I have done it myself. I run into problems (btw,
> what an ugly font for Latin's glyphs.. now I understand what mdk is
> thinking...).

Thanks again for lending a hand. Is this problem because the English glyphs in
the kacstqr font are bad or something else? Why not you try the latest
version of kacst fonts - they fixed this? Try kacstDecorative for example.

> For some reason, the Latin glyhps from the ttf font are used. I dont know
> why actually them and not other font, and that is the problem Mandrake has
> about thease fonts. I will try and set an "cripple arabic font" without
> Latins, and so it will provide only arabic. This hack may work.

There is an already available crippled arabic/farsi font here:
http://www.farsiweb.info/font/farsifonts-0.2.zip
Please try and confirm whether this will solve it.

> Unfortunally, when I started my new disk, and choose arabic (or farsi,
> sorry I cannot distinguish them), I got a message which claims that the
> installation has not translations for this language. Acording to :
>
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/l10n/ar.php3
>
> DrakX is about 88% now. It was higher in 9.2. Can someone explain this to
> me?

IMHO, this message is pre-compiled in 9.2 to let you know that 9.2 doesn't
support the Arabic Interface. If you made your own changes to let 9.2-Diego1
support Arabic then you have to edit these lines, logic?

--
Munzir Taha
PGP Key available:

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA