Re: Arappix

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 01:57, Ra'id Al-Jamali wrote:
> To start with, it is great that the initiative has been taken on the
> creation of an Arabic Linux LiveCD. This will undeniably be the best
> show-and-tell tool for showcasing the Free and Open Source model to
> Arabic speakers. I do have a few comments to make, though however blunt
> or terse they may appear, they imply no lack of appreciation for the
> endeavour and especially those behind the scenes.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate all comments and feedback :)

> - Naming: As we know the letter 'P' does not exist in Arabic. Or at
> least not any more (phonetically transformed into 'F'?). Perhaps it
> would be more appropriate to adopt a name that could be correctly
> scribed and pronounced in the intended language, eg Arabix (with a
> 'ain)?

I agree. I will be changing it to Arabbix. I actually faced that problem
when i was making an icon for this project :).

> - Modularity: from my limited knowledge, Morphix - which I never tried -
> would appear to be a more modular solution upon which customisation
> layers can be built. If that is the case, then the issue of
> maintainability should be simplified. The project certainly expresses a
> core aim of increasing 'forkability' of the knoppix method. This way we
> can probably have a two layer approach with a base Arabeyes 'library'
> module containing fonts, bidi stuff, etc, followed by several optional
> interface-centric modules sitting on top (GNOME, KDE, XFCE4, etc).
>
> Ra'id

We are not attached to KNOPPIX. I chose KNOPPIX due to its popularity,
documentation availability and solid hardware detection. After all,  we
want it to work out of the box (CD ;)).

I will take a good look at MORPHIX and get back to you on what i found
out.

Thanks for you feedback :)

Anmar