Re: MySQL Character Set

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Yaser Al-Jarbou wrote:

> Hi Walid

> I am using now MySQL-server-4.0.12-0.i386, and the character
> set is Latin1 by default. They claim that 4.1 which is beta
> version now has multiple character sets for many languages.

They have multiple character sets in older versions too, but I
couldn't find UTF-8.

> I change the character set to hebrew, and it does sorting
> arabic letters very well. but I don't like this choice to be
> part of ancient jewish language.

Weird.  Are you usign ISo 8859-6?

> I read the link of adding new character sets, but the
> difficulty here is how to write a new character sets. just give
> me a start.

Adding a UTF-8 locale is easy.  glibc contains strcoll and
strxfrm functions that work with any character set if the LANG
environment is set properly.  I recommend to search more for a
UTF-8 MySQL patch.

> Regards
> -Yaser
>  Walid Shaari <Walid at melinux dot com> wrote:On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 08:54, Yaser Al-Jarbou wrote:

Behdad