vi & gtk-2 questions

Assalam alaikum.

A couple questions: I'm using vim 6.2 and it types Arabic, but backwards. So if I type ba, ya, ta, I get tayb, not bayt. Mozilla, OpenOffice, and gtk2 apps all work properly with Arabic. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

It would be nice if someone wrote a HOWTO on converting gtk applications to gtk-2 so it's easy to recompile all the old applications with international support.

--
Moustafa Mounir Elqabbany مصطفى منير القباني
(The above message uses Unicode (UTF-8) encoding.)