Arabic Fonts Issues (was Re: [Saudi Linux] Prayer time)

On Friday 21 November 2003 15:27, Mohammed Yousif wrote:
> Also, one of our latest font
> >releases has a nice font that can be used for AlQuran Alkareem.

>  I think you mean KacstQr, I found it interesting but it is not complete
> and needs some work.
>  I took the liberty to add the missing symbols, these are:

>--------------------------------------- علامة نهاية الآية والأرقام من 0 إلى
> 9
> $007B  الشكل الأيسر
> $007D  الشكل الأيمن
> $0030  0
> $0039  9

Should this be implemented in the font or rendered by the software?

>  Most of them are unicode standard, but there are a few which simply
>  doesn't exist in the unicode standard.

Will you please add this in  your global todo: check whether a proposal has
been sent to Unicode and if not submit one and follows with them.

>  Those are:
> صفر مستدير قائم
> $0610
> تنوين مركب
> فتحتان
> $0611
> ضمتان
> $0612
> كسرتان
> $0613

Wow! These are already reserved in Unicode 4.0 to some other characters. So
you need to find some other private space.

>  It would be much better, if Kacst can take on and complete this work as
> it's critical to have such font for the Muslim user to be able to use
> various Quranic texts in his/her publishing work and in _Othmani_ script.

Agree indefinitely.

--

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distro/mdkarabicsupport.html
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA