Re: Arabic Linux sites

--- Ossama Khayat <ossama at linuxmail dot org> wrote:
> I had a visit to your nice site today, and noticed that our website
> and other usefull websites aren't listed there.

The site Ossama is talking about :-) is,

  http://www.arabiclinux.org

Haisam, this is a site you admin, right ?  If not, we need to bounce
all these emails to whomever does (ooops :-)

A couple of quick comments.

 1. On Arabiclinux.org's main page there is a '3eyoon AlArab' blurb/News
    item.  If that is about Arabeyes, please replace '3eyoon AlArab' with
    'Arabeyes' (3arabAyes - note our logo :-) and do please include a
    link in that article to www.arabeyes.org (so that there is a continuation
    to the article).  If the article is about something/someone else, then
    I'm rather confused :-)

 2. The page is in CP-1256.  I highly encourage you and others to refrain
    from using that encoding and esp. with regard to Open Source projects.
    We need to move one and all away from that encoding and all things
    proprietary and embrace the use of UTF-8.  I am just very troubled to
    see Arabic Linux and Open Source sites carrying that encoding (and
    there was been many of late from linux4arab to virtually all the LUGs).

    Using CP-1256 tells me we are sending the wrong message.

I am also calling on 1-2 people (volunteers anyone) to look into the
availability and usability of Arabic (using UTF-8 of course) within phpNuke
and postNuke.  We need to tell those open source projects to have Arabic
packages be shipped as UTF-8 pages with CP-1256 available as an option
(not the other way around).